Job Title: Associate Veterinarian
Department: Veterinary Clinic
Reports to: Vice President of Veterinary Medicine
An associate veterinarian of the Spartanburg Humane Society (SHS) is responsible for the day to day evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation efforts of animals brought to the shelter, doing surgery in a high volume spay and neuter setting, and seeing low income and adoption clients for wellness care.
He or she will work closely with the managers and supervisors in the animal shelter, clinic, and kennel operations as well as foster care volunteers in evaluating the health of animals.
Representative Tasks and Major Responsibilities:
- Performs high volume spay and neuter surgery for animals adopted from the SHS as well as owned animals.
- Demonstrate skills in diagnosis and treatment of both shelter and owned animals.
- Perform tests where appropriate to determine the health of individual animals and/or the overall health of the animals at the shelter.
- Assist law enforcement in cases of animals cruelty as needed
- Makes recommendations on shelter disease management, sanitation and clinic procedures and supplies, and veterinary equipment and supplies.
- Work collaboratively, communicate, and interact professionally with administrative staff, operations staff, and program staff.
- Maintain active involvement in local, state, and national veterinary associations.
- Be available for media and public relations efforts in promotion of the organization including but limited to public speaking, media interviews, newsletter articles and spotlights, special events, media campaign events, etc.
- Demonstrate skills of proper animal handling.
- Communicate and follow safety procedures.
- Other duties as assigned
Work hours will be Monday through Friday; one Saturday morning every other month will be required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, hear, see, type repetitively, and walk throughout the workplace. The employee may occasionally climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, handle and lift, carry, and push or pull up to 50 pounds.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and experience required:
- Graduate of veterinary school and licensed to practice veterinary medicine in South Carolina.
- Possess technical aptitude and competency in the following areas: spay/neuter, disease recognition, breed recognition, and have a complete understanding of all Humane Society policies, procedures, beliefs, and mission statement.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office products. Ability to learn internal software/database programs.
- Ability to persuasively present and interpret the mission, goals, and programs of the Spartanburg Humane Society to clients and others in the community.
- Must be able to accept and explain the concepts of humane euthanasia.
- Must treat animals humanely both on and off the job, and transmit these values to others.
- Valid driverís license required. Must qualify to be insured under SHS auto policy.
- Experience in the animal welfare field preferred but not required.
Click here to apply for this position.
Return to the employment opportunities page.